Sunday 6 November 2011

A new cyclist in London


As one of the stakeholders of The Bike Exchange I had been feeling guilty that although I’ve always worked with internet companies, websites and startups, there was one area missing… cycling.  I had never been a cyclist in London for several reasons - mostly fear of cycling around the packed roads.

The rest of the team are keen cyclists, this made me want to give cycling a try. I was with a friend in central London who was cycling home on a lovely sunny afternoon in September. So I decided to rent a Boris bike out for an hour and follow my friend home. As soon as I dropped off the bike I knew I was hooked.

I quickly decided I was going to buy a bike rather than getting crammed onto the tube for an hour each day to get stuck underneath people's armpits and morning breath. Naturally I visited The Bike Exchange to buy my bike. I wanted to make sure I was going to enjoy it before spending much money on a bike - so I looked for a second hand bike in London on our website. I found a great hybrid bike for a reasonable price and bought it – I haven’t looked back since.

I love cycling. I can leave when I want to, I halved the journey time to work, I feel fitter, I have already saved money and I don’t have to rely on public transport. Cycling opens up London to you: I have lived in London for four years and within three months of cycling I know areas better and the city feels smaller and more accessible.

Unfortunately  my addiction to cycling arrived hand in hand with Winter. I don’t think this will stop me, I’m looking at warmer, waterproof gear to ease the pain. Soon, I may sell my bike that I loved so much to make room for an upgrade – maybe to another second hand bike or possibly to a brand new bicycle. Whatever happens, I’m looking forward to trying out some new bikes and some good rides in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment